Your Pompeii and Sorrento Tour begins with a relaxing drive to southern Italy to the region of Campania.
Your first stop will be at the archaeological park of Pompeii, a once prosperous ancient Roman commercial town of about 11,000 people that became frozen in time entombed in volcanic mud when Mount Vesuvius erupted in 79 AD.
Pompeii is believed to have been founded in the 7th or 6th century BC by the Osci, ancient Italiac people of Campania, and conquered by Rome in 80 BC.
It remained lost for about 1,500 years until its discovery led to excavations which continue even today. Buried under tons of ash, this ancient town and its artifacts have been kept well preserved for so long due to lack of air and moisture.
Pompeii will give you a hauntingly beautiful and detailed insight into the ancient world of the Romans for an unforgettable experience of this ancient town that disappeared in a flash.
Along the distressed cobble stone streets you can walk in the footsteps of the ancient locals and venture through the well preserved ruins of once impressive villas decorated with vivid frescoes, apartment buildings for the working class, bars, bakeries, stores, and workshops.
Surprisingly, Pompeii has been a "tourist attraction" for about 250 years, and currently visited by approximately 2.5 million visitors each year. This archaeological site is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
To get the most out of your visit to Pompeii we highly recommend a local licensed guide whose extensive knowledge and detailed narrative will enhance your experience and understanding of this captivating ancient Roman city.
See "Please Note" section to your right for more information on private guided tours of Pompeii.
From here your Pompeii and Sorrento day tour continues with a pleasant drive to the splendid coast town of Sorrento that overlooks the Bay of Naples and Mount Vesuvius for lunch at a local restaurant and some time for exploration.
Sorrento is one of the most charming seaside towns of southern Italy, inspiring music (recall the famous "Torna a Surreinto" - Come Back to Sorrento) and poetry, good food and fresh sea air.
Sun kissed building facades in warm colored pastels, worn by time, while made so beautiful by it will greet you as you explore the quaint streets and alleys.
You will also have free time on your own for a relaxing stroll through its narrow lanes lined with galleries, cafes, and boutiques featuring an abundance of local products such as the famous Sorrento Limoncello.
You will discover shops sell fine souvenirs such as ceramics, marquetry, and lacework. Sorrento is a fabulous place if you like to shop!
Don't miss the famous "Corno" - red horns shaped like chilly peppers said to ward off the "evil eye" and is considered a good luck charm.
Pulcinella is a masked puppet show type character, reputedly a prankster. He is the unofficial mascot of Sorrento, and you will see Sorrento full of them!
After a wonderful visit in Sorrento, you will enjoy a relaxing drive back to Rome where your day tour will finish with your turn to your hotel accommodation.
Thank you for choosing RomeCabs Limousine Car Service for your tours, shore excursions and transfers. We hope to see you soon in Italy!
* The total price for the tour is quoted per vehicle, not per person. Individuals sharing this tour may split the cost.
* Please allow up to 24 hours for all email inquiry replies and service confirmations. We have limited office hours on Sundays, please allow additional time.
* Payment for the tour will be made in Euro funds at the end of your journey, or you may prepay in advance via PayPal. Please let us know when you book your tour if you prefer to pay in advance and just enjoy yourself on the day of your tour. We do not accept credit card payments.
* Drivers touring from Rome can offer basic information of the Campagna region, but they do not possess in-depth knowledge as a local expert of the region. If you prefer in-depth information on Sorrento and the region in general, you may request a private tour guide to accompany you in Sorrento as well.
* SAFETY FIRST: Driving through traffic-prone Naples and on the windy road to Sorrento may at times require your Driver’s full attention on the road and refrain from distracting commentary while driving. For your personal safety inside the vehicle, we thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
* BOOKING A PRIVATE POMPEII GUIDE: If you would like to reserve a personal English speaking licensed guide for a private tour of the Pompeii, please indicate by checking the GUIDE option on your booking form. The standard Pompeii tour lasts 2 hours at 120Euros.
Payment will be made directly to your private guide at the end of the Pompeii tour.
If you would like to reserve a personal English speaking licensed guide to provide you with a private tour of Pompeii please indicate by checking the GUIDE option on your booking form. Please read all the information below before allowing us to book a licensed guide on your behalf.
Don’t worry, we don’t ask for your personal credit card information, require advance deposits to secure your tour, or penalize you for cancellations. We operate on the Honor System, so we kindly ask that cancellations be made at least 7 days in advance so we can rebook your service and your reserved driver does not lose work for that day. Thank you for your cooperation and consideration.
Before booking any services via this website you must first Read and Accept our Terms of Service.
For more answers to your questions please visit our F.A.Q. Page
from I.F., October, 2012
You promised and you delivered. prompt pickup upon arrival at airport and prompt delivery back to airport. highlight had to be the day trip to pompeii. Marco, our driver, is a credit to your company. I do not know what is standard in your services on a day trip, but he treated us as royalty. from initial pickup to the trip to Pompeii and Sorrento, to the final trip back to our apartment. he was courteous, friendly and extremely helpful. Heck, we considered him as part of our family. We tipped him well, you need to do whatever is necessary to keep this type of employee. We will highly recommend your company to any and all we know traveling to Europe. Our thanks to you and your staff for helping make this a trip to remember. you may publish any or all of this as a blog on your website. Excellent, excellent, excellent